Maplewood: an Old School Nature Area

My landmark for Maplewood North is dated May 17, 2009. Located in Muralis on Heterocera, next to Route 3A, this nature area has changed very little since it was founded. There are none of the integrated forest systems (such as provided by Studio Skye, for example). Nearly everything is vintage 2009 Second Life, though a "Black Lives Matter" sign shows that the parcel is still being tended.

I visit Maplewood once or twice a year, just to renew my memories of the first time I ran across it. At the time, I was very excited to see a large natural region in SL. Then, I didn't understand why there weren't vast areas of wild (of course, cost would be an issue). I do love the more current wild areas in SL, but I am happy to see Maplewood preserved as is for so long.

The creator, Almadi Masala, has created several small biomes — forest, wetlands, lakes, as well as a prairie restoration project. There is a vertiginous climb up the spine of one of the Heterocera highlands, where a very small piece of the top is part of Maplewood (do take care with one of the neighbor's security orb).

You can see that the light streaming through the trees was an early stylistic tic of SL forests:

The land has minor signage at obvious entrances, and a few giving directions. There are places to sit and hang out scattered all over the area's 20,000sq.m territory, as well.

I recommend giving Maplewood a visit, to honor the memories of early SL design.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Start of the Blog

The Ephemerality of Second Life